Use controls to navigate; click image to enlarge
Old Bohemia Church
AOJ was project architect with Chesapeake Associated Architects for this exterior restoration project.
Located in the middle of MLK Park is the 1926 Casino building, which had suffered deferred maintenance and some unsympathetic renovations over the years. Through commitments of funding from the City of Buffalo and the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy the building has begun a multi-phased project to restore the exterior and renovate the interior, restoring some of its key original features, such as the open truss roof of the magnificent open 2nd floor space.
AOJ worked with Flynn Battaglia Architects on all three phases of this multi-year project. He carried out historic paint research to determine the original colors, which included two different greens that very nicely complement the park surroundings. He also designed window guards and exterior railings, working with the State Historic Preservation Office and Flynn Battaglia, that, while not imitating any historic window grilles or railings, complement the historic character of the building.
AOJ was project architect for this roof restoration project while with the Hillier Group, 1999-2000. The work had to be designed so that it could be performed without disturbing the operation of the governor’s offices on the floor directly below, while removing and replacing one of the original roof trusses which had failed.
While an intern with the National Park Service during his time in architecture school AOJ did the research and drawings for an exterior restoration project at this major historic site under the direction of long time NPS restoration architect Penny Batcheler. Also completed during the same time was a Historic Structures report on the dairy complex of the Hampton Mansion farm, co-written with Penny Batcheler.